01 Jan Whole30 Diary: Or, How I am Kicking off the New Year
Whole30 Day 1
For the next thirty days, I’ll be following the Whole30 eating program, which focuses on unprocessed, natural foods such as meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, fruits, and fats. I will eliminate all sugar, bread, grains, beans, and dairy during this time.
My goal in adopting this very challenging regimen is to reduce my cholesterol, lower my sedimentation rate (a test my rheumatologist does every three months to measure inflammation in my joints), and drop a few pounds that I accumulated over the holidays.
You can follow my progress as I post my successes and pitfalls every day. I hope that by sharing my journey to better health, you’ll be encouraged to embark on one of your own. Or, if you are already pursing a healthy lifestyle, share what you are doing and how it is working for you.
Happy New Year! Here’s to your health in 2016.
- Motivated and ready to go!
- Got up early and put 5,000 steps on my Fitbit, half way to my daily goal of 10,000.
- Breakfast–2 eggs, cooked in clarified butter, with onion and ham; fresh pear slices from the box of Harry and David fruits from Christmas.
- Yoga class from 10:00-11:30 was relaxing and energizing–glad to get back to it after the Christmas break.
- Snack–a handful of cashews after yoga.
- Lunch–tuna salad with celery, onions, and black olives, made with homemade mayonnaise; served with tomato wedges and slices of avocado.
- Snack–some dates and a small chicken tender
- Dinner–a New Year’s day traditional one–pork loin, cabbage, and apple sauce–had to skip the cornbread and Hoppin’ John, but fixed some for Bill.
- Reached my goal of 10,000 steps on Fitbit.
- All in all a great day! Wish all of them would be like this, but have a feeling the sugar cravings will set in soon and it will be more of a struggle. Also, there is pretty much prepping of food since everything is fresh must be fixed from scratch. That could get old. One at a time!